Monday, January 31, 2011

Hot Yoga

Bikram Yoga.. also knows as Hot Yoga
Classes usually run for 90 minutes, the room is typically around 105F/40C and 40% humidity.
The room is hot and the work out is intense so your body warms up really fast, and trust me- you sweat.
The purpose of the hot room is to heat up your muscles to help them be more efficient and to increase flexibility.
.
For the last few weeks I have been doing on Monday mornings
And I am actually enjoying it.
The work out is hard - if anyone tells you yoga is easy, or its just stretching.. they obviously haven't done it.
Your legs are shaking, you are sweating, your muscles will be sore the next day.

And besides the physical benefits, a lot of people practice yoga for the spiritual benefits. The class I go focuses on self love - and while at first it seems hokey - maybe its not such a bad thing to spend 90 minutes on monday tell yourself that you love yourself and your body.
The meditation period at the end it relaxing, and rejuvenating.
If you are looking for a new type of exercise I would definitely look for a class.

Before you go here are some things to consider:

-Start with a class suitable for beginners - and make sure the instructors know you are new
-It's definitely beneficial to be in a class with an assistant/adjuster who can help you with your poses
 -Despite some reports you wont burn 1000 calories a session - you will burn lots, like any strength class -but not that much
-And any weight that you've lost immediately after a work out is WATER WEIGHT - all you did was sweat -out a bunch of water and now you are dehydrated.
You should be drinking at least 3 cups of water during your work out
and 3 cups for every pound you lost during your workout!

Remember - like with any new work out program you need to check with your doctor first
Especially since the heat - if you have issues with blood pressure, or don't do well in the heat I would consider doing a non-heated class.

Have you ever done yoga, power yoga, or hot yoga? What did you think?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I really want to do Yoga or some form of meditation. I know alot of people who do and I could not even say what holds me back. I guess I just need that motivation. :)

xoxo
Katie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...