Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lunches

Im trying to skip the mass produced cafeteria lunches served at the day camp I'm working at and pack my own this summer

I've been packing...
Crackers, cheese strings, pepperoni sticks, celery and peanut butter, and cucumber and hummus, blueberries, applies...

I have also been making salads.
In a tupperware I have been adding spinach, avocado, corn, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic....
and Quinoa.
For dressing I mix olive oil, lemon juice, and a little bit of mustard.

Quinoa... pronounced Keen-wa.... is an ancient grain-like seed. Its a great addition to salads.
Its packed with protein (14g per 1/2 cup), Fibre (7g per 1/2), and other vitamins and minerals.

Try it this week!! You can find it at the local super market and cook it like rice.  For a little extra flavour cook it in low sodium vegetable or chicken stock.
You can  use it to subsitute any other grain/seed like rice, or cous-cous or put it in your salad.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...